General Qualifications shall be as follows:
- The applicant must have a minimum of three years relevant experience in estate planning to be considered for membership;
- The applicant must meet the minimum criteria for eligibility for his/her category of member as defined below; applicant will be categorized based on the type of work performed;
- The applicant must be sponsored by two sponsors, both of whom must be members of the Council in good standing; only one of whom may be from the same category as the applicant; and only one of whom may be from the same organization as the applicant.
Specific Qualifications shall be as follows:
A member in good standing of the British Columbia Bar who holds a current practice certificate from the Law Society of British Columbia.
A member in good standing of one of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia, the Certified General Accountants Association of British Columbia, or the Chartered Professional Accountant Association of British Columbia.
Chartered Life Underwriters
A member in good standing of one or both of the Financial Advisors Association of Canada (Advocis) or the Canadian Institute of Financial Planners who holds the Chartered Life Underwriter designation.
Trust Company Representatives
- current occupation and area of expertise is estate and trust administration in a trust company; and,
- recognized as having a high degree of knowledge, experience and education directly related to estate and trust planning or administration.
A member in good standing of one or more of the Financial Advisors Association of Canada (Advocis), the Institute of Advanced Financial Planners or the Financial Planners Standards Council who holds one or more of the following designations:
- Certified Financial Planner;
- Registered Financial Planner; or,
- Chartered Financial Consultant.
A member of the Canadian Association of Gift Planners and the individual must work for or be retained by a registered charity.
Licensed with the British Columbia Securities Commission as a Portfolio Manager.
A member of the academic staff of any University, Community College, or other post-secondary institution with the province of British Columbia.
A Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries who specializes in pension consulting, or otherwise experienced in the field of pension consulting.
An applicant who:
- does not meet the criteria for any other category of membership;
- has specific qualifications, knowledge or experience with the Executive Committee considers will contribute towards the advancement and development of the objects of the Council; and,
- is approved for membership by at least a two-thirds majority of the Executive Committee.